Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Little Brother, Little Shark

Every time you go fishing you have a small window of opportunity. It's what you do with that window that matters. Many fish love moving water and sharks aren't any different.

We typically fish incoming tides and outgoing tides. High tide raises the water level in the troughs just off the beach allowing game fish to move in and feed.

If you were to fish low tide from the beach you would need to drop your lines in very, very far to get into deeper water. Conversely, low tide on a flat concentrates fish to deeper channels, cuts, and coves.

But back to beach shark fishing... We had missed the incoming tide and now had 2 hours to fishing the outgoing since John U. Lloyd Beach State Park was to close at sunset.

I immediately rigged up 2 baits and dropped one 100 yards away and another 50 yards away. I like to place baits in different zones because you never know a) which trough the fish are swimming in and b) how close they are to the shore break.

For example, this 6ft Christmas Lemon Shark was caught on a chunk of bonita only 25 yards from the shore!


On a sunny day, you can stand on the eroded sand wall and see shadows moving around the surf. If the water is too clear, you'll need to lighten your tackle to increase hook up ratio. I've seen sharks swim in circles around my bait on a clear day and my 100lb wire gave me away.

Here's the video of my brothers little black tip:




And the picture


As always, Tight lines

2 comments:

  1. btw, added your blog to my links under "fishing blogs"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I can't wait to see your post for next duck season!

    ReplyDelete